Snort mailing list archives

RE: snort installation

From: "James R. Hendrick" <Jim_Hendrick () KEANE-NNE com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:37:49 -0500

You may be being "mislead" by the error. If you do have gcc installed, make
sure you also have the "binutils" package installed. What I have seen is
that when you try to use the compiled code to create an executable, if there
is no linker or assembler, you will get a similar message.

This should have nothing to do with who you are running the "make" as, since
you must have had permissions to "untar" the package, you have write
permission in the directory.

If "make" succeeds, you may need to have the "make install" be run as root
to actually install the new executable into a system directory. ("sudo make
install" should work. If it doesn't, you should get it installed and add
yourself to the sudoers file :-)

Jim