Snort mailing list archives

Re: unable to wash traffic through rules files

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:20:00 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, don wrote:

I am using snort 1.9.0 and am unable to get it to work pse see the below
noted I would be most grateful for any ideas as
to what I am doing wrong. I am fully conversant with tcpdump/ethereal
and the such but this is stumping me!!!

monkeylabs:/home/don/Documents/snort-1.9.0/src # ./snort -dvr
/home/don/ch1.capture -A full -c netbios.rules
Initializing Output Plugins!
Log directory = /var/log/snort
TCPDUMP file reading mode.
Reading network traffic from "/home/don/ch1.capture" file.
snaplen = 65535

        --== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Preprocessors!
Initializing Plug-ins!
Parsing Rules file netbios.rules

Initializing rule chains...
ERROR: Unable to open rules file: netbios.rules or ./netbios.rules
Fatal Error, Quitting..

[...snip...]

Ummm....  It can't find the file "netbios.rules" or "./netbios.rules".
Put in the full path to the file that you intend to use and that error
should be fixed.

But...  You'll have another error then.  Save yourself the time and simply
configure the snort.conf that comes with Snort.  Simply fill in HOME_NET
with the subnet that you want to watch and set EXTERNAL to !$HOME_NET (not
HOME_NET).  Then for the other plugins, you can configure them, but for
testing, you'd be fine to leave them at your defaults.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get weird the wierd turn pro."   H.S. Thompson