Snort mailing list archives

Re: A question about flow:established keyword

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:56:55 -0800

:: [Shadi Rostami] It is not just looking for A+. I believe it checks if TCP 3way-handshaking is done.
:: This feature is added to protect snort against stick and snot tools, I think. Those tool were trying to send tcp
packets with attack signatures without creating real tcp connection (therefore, they could send lots of them very
fast). They can cause lots of false positive in the IDS, so the administrator would be overwhelmed and won't be able to
find the real attack in the log file.

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.36

This section of the manual says that the established keyword, when used
with the stream reassembly preprocessor, is functionally equivalent to
looking for "A+" flags.

:: [Shadi Rostami] That document mentions that there is a timeout for
:: stream4 preprocessor. However, it does not saying anything about my
:: specific problem.

Well, to address your specific concern (which I didn't do in my first
post), the solution is to make sure that your preprocessor timeout is set
to something greater than the amount of time it would take for established
sessions to send a timeout on your network.  Eg, if A has an established
TCP connection to B, you want to know how long it will take A to send a
keep-alive packet back to B after a period of inactivity.  If you see the
keep-alive packet sent, it should reset your timer in the stream
preprocessor.

For my FreeBSD 4.8-RC system, the default is 2 hours (net.inet.tcp.keepidle
sysctl).  It appears that it's the same for Windows 2000 as well:

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315669

So, depending on your environment, it would seem that something around 2
hours is what would be necessary.  However, also depending on your
environment, 2 hours could result in gi-normous state tables :)

I realize my first post didn't really answer your question; sorry about
that.  Hopefully this one is a bit better.

Cheers - Erick