Snort mailing list archives

A question about flow:established keyword

From: "Shadi Rostami" <shadi () inkra com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:27:35 -0800

Hello,
I believe when we set the value of flow to "established", Snort only looks for that attack after the connection is
established (i.e.3-way tcp handshaking is done).

Also, I assume that there should be a time-out for TCP sessions (i.e. after the session is idle for a period of time,
it would be considered as dead and the memory assigned to it including the session data and status will be
de-allocated).

What happens when
        1. A tcp connection is established; 3-way handshaking is done, but it remains idle for a long time.
        2. During that time, the session times out and the session data would be de-allocated.
        3. client sends packets belonging to that session.  The server might still have that session data, so it
accepts it as the old session, and communicate with client fine.
        4. Snort sees this new packet as a new session (although it is an old session), and won't see any 3-way
handshaking and will not look for the attacks.

Are we going to loose some attacks in the above situation?

Thanks
--Shadi