Snort mailing list archives

Re: SID 1545: DOS Cisco attempt

From: "D PH" <flying_triguy () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:41:58 -0700

Ok, I've looked high and low, and I can't find anything that this would correspond to. A couple people emailed me privately indicating that the problem was

"Cisco IOS HTTP %% Vulnerability"
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1154/discussion/

except that I don't see how a vulnerability that presumbaly requires a valid HTTP request (minimum "GET /%% HTTP/1.0") can correspond with a signature that looks for a 1 byte packet that contains a Hex-13 byte.

Now perhaps it's just me, but I think that someone would have had to write the rule, or at least consider it a bit before allowing it into the rule base. I could even accept that it's an old rule that everyone has forgotten about why it's in there, except that someone promoted it from experimental recently. And in my archived downloads of rules files, the rule itself does not appear until late September or early October sometime... although it is in the sid-msg.map .

If anyone has any ideas (perhaps whomever commited it into the rulebase hmmm??), I would appreciate knowing. If no one knows what the purpose is, perhaps it should be removed.