Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Large PAcket

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:28:36 -0500

Personally, I use this variant of the rule, which has the drawback of ignoring any large ICMPs that contain long strings of 0's but at least it doesn't false every time my server gets pinged by one of these probes..

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP Large ICMP Packet"; dsize: >800; content:!"|000000000000000000000000|"; reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:1000499; rev:3;)

these packets seem to be some sort of path MTU discovery, or a spedera type "fastest link" estimator.