Snort mailing list archives

[OT] Re: Annoying away message?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:38:34 -0500

Yes, I'm getting them too.. and also one from some broken bounce handler warning me that a user is over-quota.

It's *really* sad.. but it's also *really* common for there to be subscribers to this list to have insecure and broken vacation rules..

Usually I send a message to the offender, warning them that they could get DoSed by a malicious person... that tends to be enough (on this list at least) to keep them from doing it a second time.. I then set up an auto-delete rule to trash their mail.. I generally avoid making my server bounce their mail, as some of them are so broken that doing so would wind up DoSing them (this can happen if someone has a broken auto-responder on an account that also gets postmaster's mail). Admittedly if it's that broken they are bound to have it happen sooner or later anyway, but I try not to speed the process..

Despite the warnings, there's always a few new people on the list that aren't aware of the security problems autoresponders can cause if not well designed. (which is absolutely pathetic on a network-security related list).