Snort mailing list archives

Re: migrate from mysql to oracle (sorry if this arrive twice)

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:46:00 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Master Brian wrote:

Greetings :)

I'm new of this list and to snort. I've used it for 3 month on a linux
box and I found it very usefull.  Now I want to migrate my
snort/database from mysql (on local linux box) to another computer
running oracle.

I've read the faq and the docs.

I've created a "snort" user, created the table with "create_oracle.sql"
and changed my /etc/snort.conf from:

output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=mypassword dbname=snort
host=localhost

output database: log, oracle, user=snort password=mypassword
dbname=snort host=ip_of_oracle_server encoding=ascii detail=full

BUT, when I try yo restart snort I get OK but snort died immediatly...
can someone help me to solve this problem pls? Thx

<cue astral music>
Welcome to the Psychic Snort-Users Network!  Now, sit down as we tell you
everything that is wrong with your install of Snort without knowing
_anything_ about the problem.

You have Snort installed.  It's not working.  You are a Capricorn on the
Cusp of Cupid.
</coffee less sarcasm>

Give us something to work on...  A cut and pasted error message of what
Snort gives when it dies would be _rather_ useful.  If using a fairly new
(1.9.x) release.  If you're running on *nix and using the -D parameter,
remove -D and start it manually to see what the error is.  What version of
Snort?  What version of Oracle?  Can you log into the Oracle DB from
remote?  Can your Snort box even get a packet to the DB machine?  Can you
verify that Oracle is running on the remote box?

We're happy to help...  We just need a bit of data first.  :-)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams