Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort 1.9.1 Dual Sensor

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:14:03 -0500

In that situation the FAQ is still applicable..

The proper way to do multiple interfaces if "any" doesn't suit or is not an option on your OS is to run multiple snort instances.

AFKAIK there's no way to specify multiple interfaces to the pcap layer, so any "built in" support for multiple interfaces would be just as heavy-weight on your system as running multiple copies of snort because that's more-or-less what snort would wind up having to do internally. (some very limited resources sharing would be possible, but probably not enough to be worth the effort)

Since there'd be no significant performance advantage, and it would be hiding the heavy performance impact, I'd not expect to see this feature added to snort anytime soon, but I'm not a developer of snort, so don't quote me on it.