Snort mailing list archives

re: Snort 1.9.1 Dual Sensor

From: "Michael J. McCasland" <mjm () nycap rr com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:24:09 -0500

Setting up snort on two nics is rather simple:
For example:
snort -i eth1 -c /etc/snort/rules1/snort.conf
snort -i eth2 -c /etc/snort/rules2/snort.com

You also do not need to bind any IPaddress to the NICS used for snorting.

Keep your snort.conf files and all related rules seperate.
You can modify the snortd startup script to do the same. I currently run snort at many sites using up to three sensors on a box watching different segments with tailored to fit rules and an aditional NIC set up with an IP. IDSpolicymgr is a great help in maintaining many sensors.
I also log to Postgres and use ACID for data analysis.

-mike mccasland