Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:03:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Comcast wrote:

I am having the below error.  I also have the problem of pushing the snesor
config file it does not put it into the /etc/snort directory I have to down
load it and copy it to the /etc/snort dir.

I am running rh 8.0 on a amd 1500 processor with MySql 2.53 snort center 9.6
acid v096b23 snort agent 0.1.4.  It was all working fine until I wanted to
update a rule and copied over a new snort.etho.conf file and restarted then
it failed.  Any Ideas. Please help!

Either you or Snort Center made some changes to your config file.

Look at like 658 of your snort.eth0.conf.  Looks like something has added
the word "notify" into the file.

[...snip...]

ERROR line /etc/snort/snort.eth0.conf (658) => Unknown rule type: notify
Fatal Error, Quitting..

For as wonderful as fontends are for new users, they often make it _very_
diffucult for new users to actually debug some error.  I would suggest
that you not use Snortcenter at all, until you have found and resolved the
problem.  Once you fix it, then _save your config file!_ to a known good
version.  Then and _only_ then should you try to add SnortCenter back into
the equation.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams