Snort mailing list archives

Please comment on suggested architecture..

From: "KD Rajkumar" <koderma () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:26:42 +0000

Fellow Snorters,

Would appreciate your views and suggestions on a possible Snort/Barnyard/Some DB/Some Snort-monitoring software deployment. The "Some DB" will most likely be Oracle.

We don't have too much traffic to contend with here. About 5 - 10 Mbps is what we expect. I am looking at a sigle processor Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 2.4 Ghz based server with 512MB of RAM. I will have three such servers with Snort and Barnyard installed on each. On a fourth server, I will have a central management console where I plan on having the central DB and the Snort monitoring software. The Barnyard output plugin from the other three servers will log to this central DB.

Do you think the suggested hardware platform will be able to handle both Snort and Barnyard for the amount of traffic it sees and needs to log ?

Also, please feel free to critique the suggested layout and design.

Thank you !