Snort mailing list archives

RE: Running snort in daemon mode disables network c onnection

From: "Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)" <Pradeep.Sadanapalli () med ge com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:52:33 -0600

I tried to run snort with -p option. Now my network interface is not
running in promiscuous mode,
as I found it out by executing "dmesg|tail -10". But still I my network
connection is getting disabled
immediately after running snort. I am not even able to ping to any other
machine in LAN or
other machines are not able to connect to my machine.

Here is part of my snotd script I am running.

"
# Specify your network interface here
INTERFACE=eth1
LOGDIR=/var/log/snort/
CONFIGFILE=/etc/snort/snort.conf
SNORTBINARY=/usr/local/bin/snort

RETVAL=0

start() {
        echo -n $"Starting snort: "
        daemon $SNORTBINARY -p -A fast -b -l /var/log/snort -d -D -i
$INTERFACE -c $CONFIGFILE
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/snortd
        echo
        echo -n $"(log to " $LOGDIR " with configfile " $CONFIGFILE ")"
        echo
}
"

What else may be going wrong? Appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance for all your help

Pradeep