Snort mailing list archives

Re: spp_fnord Alerts Galore

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:25:16 -0500

Spp-fnord is a somewhat experimental preprocessor that attempts to detect common "filler" patterns that are used in buffer overflows. The fill pattern is used to make the overflow a bit simpler to align. Typically this is a pile of NOP instructions, or a similar single-byte instruction that has no significant affect on the state of the system.

Read up the e-text titled "smashing the stack for fun and profit" by Alpeh One if the concept of a buffer overflow is foreign to you. It's easily found with a web search. ie this spot: http://www.shmoo.com/phrack/Phrack49/p49-14

The fnord here means it noticed something going by in a packet that looked like a pile of mutated NOPs, but could easily be a pattern present in things like uncompressed images.

AFAIK, Fnord is disabled in the default config, and you should read the description of a preprocessor in snort.conf prior to enabling ones that are turned off by default.