Snort mailing list archives

duplicate preprocessor error fixed

From: Ted Llewellyn <llewell () ieee org>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:13:33 -0500

Andrew's suggestion worked; in addition to Spade being called twice in the Init Preprocessors setup calls, there was a duplicated #include "preprocessors/spp_spade.h" under /* built-in preprocessors */ in plugbase.c. I just deleted the two lines and did another make and make install. Everything works normally now. (I think I must have run the Spade patch twice at some point.) Thanks, Andrew. Thanks to Erek also. It would have been interesting to do that, but I don't have the time; I built this installation to work on my GCIA, not to figure out how to run snort. Too many things to do. Now all I have to do is get the thing to talk to mysql...

Ted

Andrew R. Baker wrote:

Ted Llewellyn wrote:

 I am getting an error when I run snort:

Initializing Preprocessors!
ERROR (null) (0) => Duplicate preprocessor keyword!
Fatal Error, Quitting..

This error is independent of your snort.conf file. It inidicates that RegisterPreprocessor(...) was called twice with the same keyword value. This should never happen with pristine sources. There are a few things you could to determine what is going on. First, replace the line:

FatalError("ERROR %s (%d) => Duplicate preprocessor keyword!\n",
                        file_name, file_line);

in plugbase.c (line 453-453 in recent CVS source) with

FatalError("ERROR => Duplicate preprocessor keyword: '%s'\n", keyword);

This should tell us what preprocessor is being registered twice.

Another thing to do is run the command

grep -r RegisterPreprocess *

in the src directory to identify all the calls to RegisterPreprocessor. They should all be unique.

The final thing I would check is the function calls made from "InitPreprocessors" in plugbase.c. Make sure that a Setup function is not being called twice.

Hope this helps.

-A