Snort mailing list archives

Stealth Interface on Redhat 8.0, 7.2, or 6.0???

From: "Mike Chandler" <mchandl1 () san rr com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:24:07 -0800

I'm running Redhat 8.0 and libpcap-0.6.2-16 and I installed
snort-mysql+flexresp-1.9.0-1 successfully.  Everything seemed to work fine
until I tried to configure the interface as a stealth port.  I followed the
directions in the faq and rechecked everything several time but I must be
missing.

I removed ifcfg-eth0 from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and rebooted.
After a reboot I typed "ifconfig eth0 up" and confirmed the interface was up
without an IP address.  Then I typed "snort-mysql+flexresp -v -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf" and got a message "Failed to lookup for interface: no
suitable device found."  I tried specifying an interface an and got the same
mesage.  I even tried "ifconfig eth0 promisc" and got the same results.  I
suspect the problem is with libpcap since I get the "no suitable device
found" with tcpdump also.  I'm hoping this is something simple that I'm
missing because I've tried the same thing on computers running Redhat 7.2
and 6.0 (different nic's) with tcpdump with the same results.

Does anyone have a clue?  I've read manuals and faq's and searched Google
till I'm blue in the face.