Snort mailing list archives

Re: DOS in Snort?

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:54:06 -0500

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:06:22PM -0600, Counselman, Chris Contractor/Sverdrup wrote:
Snort 1.9, RedHat 8.0, SnortSnarf

On one of my sensors I have snort logging locally for SnortSnarf. One IP scanned
a class B network I monitor and a snort rule alerted on every IP. This filled
the log directory with thousands of entries that eventually reached the maximum
allowed limit which broke snort.

You are using an output plugin that is not designed for production
quality usage.  This is not a flaw in snort, it is a flaw in your
installation.

Pick a better output plugin.  unified is generally the best bet.

-brian