Snort mailing list archives

Re: Completely unscientific snort db performance test

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:28:49 +0100

Hi Derek,

With all the recent discussion about "appropriate" databases to use with
snort, here are some very unscientific results I've come to with some of
the work I've been doing at work:

http://www.illusionary.com/snort_db.html

which versions of the database did you use? My latest tests
which compares inserts in a postgres (7.3.2) and mysql (4.0.10-gamma
and 3.23.53) show no significant differences in speed.
(Up to now I did not compare selects...)

So I guess you are using an older version of postgres?

Even the use of -F with postgres results in less then 10%
in speed. But this counts only for the newer versions of
postgres...

One more interesting thing is the memory consumption of
mysql. The mysqld seems to grow in memory with each insert
(I have seen it with more than 100MB of memory size)
whereas postmaster keeps permanently small (around 3.5 MB).

Best regards

Dirk
--
| Dr. Dirk Geschke            | E-mail: geschke () genua de      |
| Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerk  | Tel.  : +49-(0)-89-991950-131 |