Snort mailing list archives

Re: SnortCenter questions

From: larc <larc () pandora be>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:21:51 +0100

Hi,

First, when I restart the snort service via snortcenter the service
restarts on the client computer ok but snortcenter shows that snort is not running even when it is.
This can happen when your sensor reacts to slow.

>Does snortcenter store its rules in a database?
Yes, the rules are stored in the DB and when you push the configuration to a sensor, SnortCenter will build the configuration file with the activated rules for that sensor.

Stefan

Counselman, Chris Contractor/Sverdrup wrote:

RH 8.0, Snort 1.9.0, SnortCenter 0.9.6., mysql 3.23.53a, php 4.2.2
First, when I restart the snort service via snortcenter the service restarts on the client computer ok but snortcenter shows that snort is not running even when it is. This will eventually correct itself on its own it seems. I will not get this error with I restart the service on the client manually. Any suggestions? Second, I've built the snort.conf file via snortcenter to reflect what I had put in there manually but I do not see anywhere where the snortcenter snort.conf file references which rule sets to use. Does snortcenter store its rules in a database? How does snort know which rules to use when you are using snortcenter? I'm used to doing things manually so I am having to re-learn how to interact with snort. Great help here, thanks Chris