Snort mailing list archives

SnortCenter questions

From: "Counselman, Chris Contractor/Sverdrup" <chris.counselman () us army mil>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:40:31 -0600

RH 8.0, Snort 1.9.0, SnortCenter 0.9.6., mysql 3.23.53a, php 4.2.2

First, when I restart the snort service via snortcenter the service restarts on
the client computer ok but snortcenter shows that snort is not running even when
it is. This will eventually correct itself on its own it seems. I will not get
this error with I restart the service on the client manually. Any suggestions?

Second, I've built the snort.conf file via snortcenter to reflect what I had put
in there manually but I do not see anywhere where the snortcenter snort.conf
file references which rule sets to use. Does snortcenter store its rules in a
database? How does snort know which rules to use when you are using snortcenter?
I'm used to doing things manually so I am having to re-learn how to interact
with snort.

Great help here, thanks

Chris