Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan vs. portscan2

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:24:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Rob Burris wrote:

1. Is it necessary to have both preprocessor's running?

No, and definately not reccommended for performance reasons.

2. What are some of the differences between how they detect scans?

ps2 is the big brother of ps.  The code was done in a new fashion, and
some other things added in.  The method of storing the packet list in
memory is done differently.

As for the detect method, it's fairly close.  X ports on Y boxes in Z
timeframe.  It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic
idea.

3. Is one better than the other or is it just personal preference?

To me it's really up to you.  ps has the older more mature code base,
while ps2 is faster and cleaner.  If it were possible, I'd run two
instances over the same time frame on your sensor--One with ps and one
with ps2.  Compare the output and see which one gives you data you
like/expect.  Force some scans from GRC.com or wherever.  See which one
finds them and reports them to you.  If you have access to a box that
isn't on $HOME_NET then scan yourself from there.

I hope I don't sound like a lamer but as you said there doesn't appear to be
any docs to read.

There really aren't any docs for some of the plugins.  Most of the time
the best docs are the code itself.  Granted, if you don't code C, they can
be a bit difficult to read.  Often times there are fairly good comments
and variable names so you can sorta guess what the code is doing.

-----
Erek Adams