Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about snortsnarf

From: "Eric Joe" <sysop () tje1 com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:07:12 -0500 (EST)

How often are you parsing your log file? I have a Quad Xeon (p2-450)
server /w 512 megs of ram and I have to "rotate" my snort log daily or the
snortsnarf process becomes HUGE and hogs most of the system resources.
In all fairness, there is a ton of log entries and IMHO, most perl
proggies are resource hogs.

Eric

Has anyone gotten this thing to work?  I've run it several times, and I
finally cancel it after it eats all the memory and still never writes
anything to the hard drive.

I'm using /usr/local/bin/snortsnarf -d /usr/local/www/snortsnarf/
-homenet x.x.x.x/16 -maxtime=today snort:sn0rts@snort@localhost and
it's been running for over two hours!  Right now it's up to 295MB of
RAM and 57.67% of the processor.  WTF???

And while we're at it, what does barnyard do?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/