Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best Enterprise Snort Configuration

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 10:08:12 -0600

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 09:38, tfandango wrote:
Good news, I have a go for a Snort R&D project to
prove that Snort can handle the traffic that our
current commercial $oftware does.

So I have a few questions...

What is the best enterprise setup?  I estimate that we
will need about 60-70 sensors when it's all said and
done.  For an R&D project, I figure that I will start
with about 2 sensors running linux.

Use FreeBSD.  There's a really nice setup guide on the Documentation
page that will walk you through the install and get you up and running.
FreeBSD is known to be the fastest OS when it comes to handling network
traffic, and that's what you'll be doing with snort.

My FreeBSD snort box is a 1.3GHz processor with 1GB of ram, and it
typically uses about 175MB of memory "running" and 350MB if I'm doing
something to the database.  And the box is running snort, mysql and
acid.

Check out demarc.  They say it's really nice for a distributed snort
environment like you're talking about.  http://www.demarc.com/

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer