Snort mailing list archives

Re: Arguments for Snort

From: Shane Williams <shanew () shanew net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:48:31 -0600 (CST)

Well, it looks like you've got a pretty good grasp on the arguments
already, and for a company that's having to cut costs, the free angle
is the most important.

Of course, there will be the idiots who argue that you get what you
pay for, so snort can't be very good.  Point out that snort is
essentially the freely available engine behind sourcefire, which is a
commercial company.  Point them to www.sourcefire.org to show them
what snort is giving them the guts of for free.  In other words,
sourcefire can make money off of snort (in a spiffier form), but they
give back to the community that helped them build it into what it is.
Don't even mention licensing stuff, since you're trying to give it
legitimacy to people who probably think open source is
anti-capitalist.

You might also point out that ISS themselves take snort quite
seriously, since, according to the article at
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/22/1032055006051.html
they have been trying to build in snort compatibility with a feature
called "trons".

As twig les pointed out, the fact that you can see, change, remove and
add rules is a great advantage.  The fact that there's a community of
developers who come out with new rules within days of new threats is a
bonus.

And if they need to have a nice GUI interface, there are several to
choose from.  I prefer parsing my logs directly, but I've used
Snortsnarf and it's pretty slick looking.  I know there are others
that are probably even better.

Finally, if the company's really going to lose ISS licenses, then what
does the company have to lose by trying snort out.  It's a no risk
experiment.  If it doesn't work, they don't have to use it.