Snort mailing list archives

Snort rules for FTP CWD,SITE,etc overflow

From: Chris Garringer <chris.garringer () tic toshiba com>
Date: 07 Feb 2003 14:30:04 -0600

I have a snort installation watching a DMZ with a FTP server.  I get a
lot of messages about FTP <command> Overflow.  The rules all look for
contect of !|0a| within 100 of the command.  The alerts all have 0D 0A
after the command.  So why does the rule fire?  Someone on the list said
that IE behaved this way.  But that doesn't get rid of the false
positives.  Is there anyway write the rule so that it wont't fire on a
0D 0A?  The way it is written I don't understand why it fires in the
first place, there is definitely a 0A within 100 of the FTP command.

--
Chris D. Garringer
Toshiba International