Snort mailing list archives

Re: eth0 without ip ..

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:36:26 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, David Alonso De La Vega Tapage wrote:

Hi all ..

In my RH 7.2 box have already installed snort + mysql + acid ..  using
 my eth0 with my X.X.X.8 address ..  now prepared my ISD box to do all
out of my local lan ..  and need to up the NIC without any IP addres ..

Do /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up promisc .. ?  it's all or need other thing to
do ..  because in this moment mi NIC have my internal IP ..

Need to erase this IP and after it configure my nic with up and promisc
option .

Thanx in advance for all sogguestions and links ..

Regards,

David Alonso
David,

# ifconfig eth0 up

Should do it.  If you want to store the configuration so that RedHat will
re-up the interface automatically, make the following entry in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static

You'll probably want two interfaces for this box, one to sniff, and one to
use as a service interface.

HTH.