Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Syslog Alerts on Win32

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:21:53 -0600

Unfortunately, using the command line parameter for syslog is
not an option, exactly because I don't want to clobber the other
output plug-ins in the snort.conf file.  And it probably will not
work anyway under Win32 (see the post/rant I just sent to the list).
It appears that  "syslog" under Win32 really means "Event Log",
which just will not do.

Presuming that Snort under Win32 will some day really support syslog
output, hopefully then there will also be a "host=" and "port="
option for the alert_syslog plug-in.

Not sure why the rant, but I've been using snort (v1.8.x -> current)
with local and remote syslog consistently on a Win2kPro box (as well
as Linux). Nothing goes to the Event Log.

Before ranting further, it might be helpful to those on the list to
understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish.