Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-1.9.0 not generating required alerts

From: Alberto Gonzalez <ag-snort () cerebro violating us>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:32:04 -0700

ok lets try this again since the first one got sent "blank" who knows...

i found this strange, since when i ran 1.8.7 i liked to log via syslog. Since moving to 1.9.0 (been running beta6 for awhile)
i moved on.

I tried running snort with just -s.. and like you stated I got the "Usage" screen.....

(root@cerebro)(~) snort -i rl0 -s -c /etc/snort/snort.conf Initializing Output Plugins!
Log directory = /var/log/snort

Initializing Network Interface rl0
ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
       syntax error
PCAP command: /etc/snort/snort.conf
Fatal Error, Quitting..

IMHO, its expecting an argument after -s (it didnt like -c /etc/snort/snort.conf)

some digging into my /etc/snort/snort.conf file.. found the following:

# alert_syslog: log alerts to syslog
# ----------------------------------
# Use one or more syslog facilities as arguments
#
# output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

I wondered if the snort developers have made it so you have to pass a argument to the command line switch.
I attempted doing this with the following

(root@cerebro)(~) /usr/local/bin/snort -i rl0 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -s LOG_AUTH -D
Initializing Output Plugins!
(root@cerebro)(~) tail -f /var/log/daemon <snip>
Oct 16 00:27:44 cerebro snort:     target_limit: 5
Oct 16 00:27:44 cerebro snort:     port_limit: 20
Oct 16 00:27:44 cerebro snort:     timeout: 60
Oct 16 00:27:53 cerebro snort[7111]: Snort initialization completed successfully, Snort running

As you can see, when passing the LOG_AUTH argument to the command line, snort worked perfectly. You might want to check out the snort users manual available via html or pdf...

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5.1

that URL above has the facilities that alert_syslog takes.. either via output in snort.conf or now seen in 1.9 via command line
argument.

hope it helps

   - Albert

archana rao wrote:

Hi,
  I followed the steps you had mentioned, and now I
have discovered another problem.Snort-1.9.0 is not
accepting the -s(log alerts to syslog) command line
option.It gives me either a "fatal error, quitting"
error message, or prints out the "USAGE:...."
message.I noticed that I was getting the alerts in
Snort-1.8.7 when I was using the -s option and so,
when I tried doing the same thing, Snort-1.9.0 doesn't
seem to be able to recognize the option.Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Archana

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.