Snort mailing list archives

RE: Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

From: "Randy Bey" <Randy.Bey () rivernorthsys com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:32:49 -0600

Actually, I'd have to say Michael is right.  I'd be willing to be that
you
are
using an old config file from another version in your script.  What I
would
suggest is to download the tarball, not the RPM, and then grab the
.conf
from
it.  Config it and then use "-c /wherever/snort.conf"

We're not saying you're crazy, we're just saying that it doesn't
match/make
sense.  :)  It's the 'law of averages'.  So far you're the only person
with
this problem, so it seems that what you're seeing is unique to you.

Maybe not if the same conf file is referenced in the script and from the
command line.

I don't think this is a snort issue; it sounds like a shell coding
issue. The reference to "../rules" is what they call a relative path,
and I would replace it with an absolute path myself (starting with a /,
as in /etc/snort/rules). I blather on but I think the var in question is
RULE_PATH, although there's a couple other PATHs in the snort.conf.

When you run your script you may not be in the same working directory as
when you run the command from the command line. Or your script might not
correctly set the current working directory.

That's where I would look, were I you.

Randy Bey
Rivernorth Systems