Snort mailing list archives

RE: Understanding IDS & TAPS

From: "Nigel Clarke" <nigel () forever-networks com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:26:05 -0800

To answer your networking questions, read "Interconnections" by Radia
Perlman.

A switch manages VLANs in software. Let's say you have a 20 port switch, and
you
need to create two VLANs. You could assign ports 1 - 10 to VLAN A and ports
11 - 15 to VLAN B.
The remaining ports could be saved for another VLAN.

This is not a good idea. There are exploits that allow a hacker to bypass
VLANS.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Nigel Clarke                 Forever Networks
Network Security Engineer    Consultant