Snort mailing list archives

Understanding IDS & TAPS

From: "Carleton, Sam (SCI TW)" <Sam_Carleton_TW () stercomm com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:00:39 -0500

Folks,

I understand the IDS and TAPS, but not completely.  The main thing is the
physical hookup of the TAP to the IDS.  I don't understand the "100Mb IDS
Tapping Diagram (with only 100bt span port)" diagram.  The switch being
used, can it be any old switch or does it have to be something that is
programmable?  What I don't understand is how the traffic gets through the
switch.  How does the switch know where to send the packets which are coming
in from the Port A and Port B?

Sam