Snort mailing list archives

Re: Block Conncection

From: Alberto Gonzalez <albertg () cerebro violating us>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:05:00 -0800

Well, the Resp[1] keyword doesn't "block" connections, it has the ability to send rst packets and or ICMP error messages. I don't consider this blocking(IE: dropping the packet, no response). The manual illustrates 2 examples of using the Resp keyword within a rule. You can choose multpiel modifiers at the same time. To block connections (some might agree that this is bad) I suggest you either employ SnortSam[2] and or Hogwash[2]. I've played with the Resp keyword, not much.

What was the result you got from your tests? The very few ones I did actually got some nice results. I'm a fan of hybrid solutions (dont want to get into the IPS stuff.) Hopefully the technology will grow from here. Hope my 2 cents help you out!

Cheers!

   - Alberto

[1] - http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.22
[2] - http://www.snortsam.net
[3] - http://hogwash.sourceforge.net

Atul Shrivastava wrote:

*Hi,*

*Can anyone tell me how can we block certain connection, let sat that I want to block every connection for telnet that uses username "root"*

*Can anybody give me the rule. This will illustrate me the use of "react" keyword. I know that this keywork works with three modes: 1. Block the source 2. Block the Destination 3. Block both of them.*

*I have also used them but not get the desired result. Please tell me the required and efficient rule if somebody has tested it fully.*

*Thnaks in advance.*

*Regards and have a nice day,*

*                                         Atul Shrivastava*

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.