Snort mailing list archives

RE: I find it odd that this product would not be supported for SMP win2k machines

From: "Eric Joe" <sysop () tje1 com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:53:12 -0500 (EST)

Tal,
Have you confirmed that this is indeed a problem with wincap on wintel
SMP? Although you stated you werent intending to slander Snort, it kinda
sounded like that in the latter parts of your email. I havent personally
used Snort on anything but Linux, be rest assured it works well, and at
least in Linux, it supports SMP just fine (I run it on a Quad Xeon box)
Honestly if you are set on running a lightweight IDS on Win32, and dont
want to buy a commercial product, I dont what other product you can use.
Now might be a good time to setup a nice Linux box.

Eric Joe

Subject: [Snort-users] I find it odd that this product would not be
supported for SMP win2k machines

I am working with SNORT with my win2k for few weeks now, only realizing
it is not working on SMP machines with windows installments few days
ago.
I was reading a lot of good reviews of this open source and I even
stumbled over a comparative analysis with the other tools currently
available on the market.
I must say that although the problem originate from the winpcap usage
and not from any SNORT specific code, this problem raise a big question
screens or forcing the usage of only one processor are not acceptable
solutions imho).
I am not trying to criticize SNORT nor do I intend to slander it. I am
just stating my disbelief that a product which for many seems a
standard would not support SMP with windows.
Do you guys have any plans for replacing the winpcap library? Help in
fixing the winpcap SMP problems? Support any other packet capturing
library?

Thank you in advance.
Tal Beno.

--