Snort mailing list archives

RE: I find it odd that this product would not be supported for SMP win2k machines

From: "Paul D. Shaffer" <paulshaf () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:24:28 -0700

Tal,

While I might agree with you that the lack of winpcap SMP support still
(after what, about 7 or 8 years since NT4.0 hit the streets?) seems odd,
I would not buy into any argument that this issue invalidates snort on
the Wintel platform.

There are many environments, particularly as the size and complexity of
the network grows) where running multiple snort processes bound to their
own CPU in a multi-processor/multi-nic system are quite useful.

Also, depending on the network load, processor speed, other apps, etc.,
SMP support is probably overkill anyway.  Does anyone know how many and
what type CPUs are normally installed in a Sourcefire appliance with
Gig-E?

Paul D. Shaffer, MSgt, USAF
C4 Systems Manager
Peterson AFB, CO