Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: I find it odd that this product would not be supported for SMP win2k machines

From: Jeremy Loukinas <sunadmin () fuse net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:59:13 -0500

Or just use Unix/Linux in the first place.

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: 2002/12/04 Wed PM 01:52:28 EST
To: "Tal" <tal.beno () appilog com>,  <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] I find it odd that this product would not be
  supported for SMP win2k machines

Quite frankly, I've always been surprised that Snort supports Windows at
all, but given that there is a port of pcap to windows it's not all that
hard. Given that it's a popular platform the relatively low pain level of
making a windows port makes it worthwhile having one.

However, let's face it. Snort is written from the ground up as a Unix
application. The fact that it is somewhat portable to windows facilitates
the existence of a windows version, but that was not an original design
criteria of Snort as far as I know. It is a nice extra for it to be usable
on both, but I don't think Marty sat down before writing Snort and said "If
I'm going to do this it must run on Windows too". (Note: that's an opinion,
I'm taking a loosely educated guess and am not trying to put words into
Marty's mouth, he can feel free to correct me if he feels the need :))

Pcap is also a unix piece of software, which happens to have a windows
port, but let's face it.. it also wasn't designed for Windows. It is THE
standard for packet capture on unix platforms. Others exist, but let's face
it, none have the same level of prevalence as pcap does.

It would be VERY nice to improve pcap's support for SMP windows sure, but
that's really an issue to take up with the winpcap guys, not the Snort team.

As far as packet capture libs for Windows go... are there any out there
besides winpcap that are free to use, much less open-source?

If you really want a program that will take the fullest advantage of a
Windows system, you're probably better off with a piece of software that
was written for Windows in the first place. It's damn near impossible to
write a program that's optimal for both Windows and Unix platforms, and one
is always going to be a compromise. The application interfaces for advanced
programing are just way too different to have the same code work optimaly
for both.