Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort & portscans in a proxied environment

From: "Cloppert, Michael" <Michael.Cloppert () 53 com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:03:19 -0500

Indeed, this is exactly what I did.  I have 2 snort processes that get
kicked off by my "service snortd start" (yeah, redhat linux).  One runs all
my rules, preprocessors, & outputs MINUS portscan2 in snort.conf.  The other
I ran a:

"snort -yzboDNk noip -i $INTERFACE -c /etc/snort/snort-portscan.conf -A None
! host $PROXY"

snort-portscan.conf has no sig's in it, runs the portscan2 preprocessors
(plus a few of the reassembly ones just in case).

As an aside: I don't even have an output specified here, and I do no
alerting either, as you'll notice.  I did this because I was tired of ACID
getting clogged with those &%*#in annoying spp_portscan2 alerts.  Now I'll
get alerted on the SYN/FIN's, FIN scans, typical alerts of that nature...
but the standard portscans JUST get logged to portscan.log.  I don't need to
be alerted every 10 minutes when some punk portscans me.  This is data I
NEED to have when investigating something in-depth or looking at trends, but
I don't WANT when I'm just looking for immediate problems.  Hell, I even
scan this file when I run snortsnarf... I just wanted those out of my alert
database.

"log_but_dont_alert" and "ignore_destination <IP>" would be nice additions
down the road to portscan2 [wink, wink]

HTH,
Mike