Snort mailing list archives

RE: RE: arachNIDS, CVE, bugtraq

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:05:21 -0500

IDScenter does not use plugins.  Instead, it actively monitors the Snort
alert log file (i.e., alert.ids) looking for changes.  When Snort updates
the alert.ids file, IDScenter notes the change and generates an e-mail
notification message, attaching the last 'n' line of the alert.ids file to
the message.

Since I do not have any installed database to support Snort (e.g., MySQL), I
use the "-G url" option so that I can quickly click on the hyperlink that
appears in the IDScenter e-mail message.  Without the "-G url" option, the
text in the alert.ids required more "thought" on my part to obtain the alert
reference details.

*SUPPOSEDLY* IDScenter can monitor a MySQL Snort database, but w/o an
installation of MySQL, I don't know if I'll get the same information in the
notification e-mail messages or not.

This is a Win32 installation of Snort.  Do you know of any other Win32 based
agents for monitoring Snort?  Agents that do not require a web server?

- Christopher