Snort mailing list archives

Re: Network & Systems Cloaking Tool

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 08 Nov 2002 12:23:45 -0600

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 11:53, twig les wrote:
Now I'm curious.  I looked at the site, but it seems a
bit geared toward management.  Exactly how does this
box decide what traffic is legit and what isn't?  This
has been the crux of the computer security world's
problem since the get-go.  I understand the whole
do-it-in-asic part for wire speed, but the black box
thing is a tough for me to trust.  Is there a more
detailed doc about this?  Sorry to hammer you, but
this is an open-source list you're posting to.

All it does is return a syn-ack for all IP's and all ports. Legitimate
listening ports will receive traffic, but a non-existent port is
reported as open even though there is nothing behind it. Kinda like
LaBrea on per-port basis, except that it doesn't trap the remote.

I didn't want to respond at first since this list is about Snort, and
not some commercial product. Unless their box is free, I consider their
posting spam.

Frank