Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-1.9.0 is released!

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:10:30 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not ready to upgrade immediately (happily snorting
with 1.8.7 in a production environment).  How long
will the 1.8.x signatures be maintained?

--- Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com> wrote:
The Snort team is proud to announce the availability
of version 1.9.0
of Snort available for download at
http://www.snort.org

http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-1.9.0.tar.gz
http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-1.9.0.tar.gz.asc (gpg)

This release is the culmination of lots of bug
fixing and
new features from many developers including

Roman Danyliw, Glenn Mansfield Keeni, Abe Katsuhisa,
Marty Roesch,
Brian Caswell, Andrew Baker, Jed Haile, Jason
Larsen, Dragos, Dan
Roelker, Marc Norton, Chris Reid, Jeff Nathan, Phil
Wood, Dave
Goldsmith, Andreas Ostling (to whom I own : above
the O), Andrew
Hintz, everyone who submits bug reports and tests
and submits
signatures or signature descriptions.

A list of major changes include:

- reorganized code tree ( finally declared stable )
- portscan2 / conversation introduction
- picking up state on sessions is more forgiving of
odder flag
  combinations throughout snort as a whole
- the flow keyword to indicate "from_server" or
"to_server"
- snortdb schema 1.06
- perf stats
- flexresp fixes so that it's on the OTN instead of
the RTN
- icmp formatting fixes
- telnet negotiation handles the telnet EAC
character
- URI related bug fixed where a HTTP rule would
alert on bogus traffic
  ( thanks to qru for test case )
- works with net-snmp
- Stream4 supports asynchronous_link's ( great if
you have to do IDS
  without being able to combine both sides of an
ethernet tap or split
  routing )
- the decoder creates alerts for packets it doesn't
understand ( save
  this and submit them as BUGS or events )
   config disable_decode_alerts to disable this
feature
- LOTS of new rules

  flags: A+ is not how we will ever mark a session
as "established"
         ever again.
- dsize check gains min<>max range support
- checksum functions inlined and obscure endianess
related bug

Release Notes:

- Only libnet 1.0 supported for flexresp
- HP-UX is not a supported platform.

Thanks for your patience and support. The SNORT_1_9
branch of CVS is
now marked as the stable branch for bug fixing and
minor features
only.

The HEAD branch is where development will commence.
Please note this
as people who have deemed the beta';s of 1.9 good
enough for
production use that the place you need to track has
changed.

The command to grab a new copy via from is:

cvs

-d:pserver:anonymous () cvs snort sourceforge net:/cvsroot/snort
\
   co -r SNORT_1_9 -d snort-1.9  snort

--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Eschew obfuscation.

ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature

=====