Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-1.8.7 and alert file

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 09:12:47 -0400

Michael Scheidell wrote:
Em Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:56:57AM -0400, Michael Scheidell escreveu:

I have ended up needing one copy of snort (which outputs TWO unified files)
and two copies of barnyard with two different config files.

What I would want to do is to have snort create a unified file with both log
and alerts in it.

I don't understand these too. Doesn't log contain alerts as well?

a binary look at file (using beav) seems to indicate it keeps logs and
alerts, so, yes, snort will put both in (i think) however, there is no way
for me to double check this.  Daemon mode, one shot mode, special,
specific barnyard.conf in one shot mode fails to produce any 'alerts' form
log.* baryard unified files.

Yes, unified log contains all the alert data associated with a packet log (and any tag reference information as well). The original thinking was that people would want to see alerts in a more real-time manner than seeing packet logs. Having the alert only unified file allows them to be processed much faster.

The fact that Barnyard will not (yet) generate alerts from the unified log output files (except for the database output plugin) is a known deficiency with Barnyard. I curently run two instances of Barnyard on my systems. 1 to process alerts and 1 to process logs. In version 0.2 there will be a log_alert output plugin that will call the enabled alert output plugins while processing a unified log file. I will be starting work on 0.2 once 0.1 is released (which is only waiting on me fixing the documentation).

-Andrew