Snort mailing list archives

RE: snort behavior in very high-load environment, B SD vs. linux

From: "Abe L. Getchell" <abegetchell () qx net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:11:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of
Williams Jon
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 11:14 AM
To: 'Adam D'Amico'; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] snort behavior in very high-load
environment, B SD vs. linux

<snip>

First, I don't remember if it was Linux or another OS
(Solaris?), but there's at least one Unix out there that lies
about its packet drop rate, as it its hard coded to 0 in the
kernel.  In my testing of Slowaris vs. FreeBSD, this appears
to be the case.

<snip>

        It's Linux.  It will report that no packets have been dropped
when there has been.

Thanks,
Abe

--