Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Re: RFC: Forking Snort

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 17:17:43 -0400

On 7/2/02 3:15 PM, "Matt Jonkman" <matt () jonkmans com> wrote:

Same sentiment. I don't necessarily think all the original issues mentioned
are true, but I feel it would be more beneficial for the future development
to have more maintainers, and a more committee-based direction. My
organization has a few times (and this is no fault of or negative reflection
on Marty)  tried to contribute significant ideas, or significant chunks of
code (Oracle support for example), and Marty wasn't able to respond.

Which organization is that?

Only by
a little persistence and bullying were we able to get the code we are using
back out to the community at large. I know he's not able to respond because
of the load and enterprises he's managing now. So the natural step would be
to get a few more people at the top to handle new code, the future, and the
plugins.

I don't maintain the database plugin, I've never maintained the database
plugin, why would I be the point of contact for future database plugin
contributions?  I probably dropped it immediately because it was improperly
submitted to the wrong person (me) and you didn't read far enough into the
docs to see that Jed/Roman are the guys that develop the database code in
Snort.

The suggestion that development by committee might somehow improve the odds
of your code getting into the system when it's sent to a single developer
(and the wrong one as well) doesn't solve the problem of people needing to
use the existing development *group* more successfully.  Do you think Linus
would have any different response over on the Linux project with improperly
submitted code?

I'm a big believer in the plugins. If you find a bad one don't use it. That
gives you the ability to add whatever you need without impacting the entire
community. I'm in a vertical market and could really contribute a few things
we've learned about our industry, but they won't fit into rules. We need a
plugin to do do things well. (We haven't developed anything yet, but could
if that avenue were there)

Marty should be devoting all his time and effort to the commercial efforts.
That's what is going to feed his family (whether that's a family of humans
or just hungry computers) and pay his bills and fill that retirement fund.

I'll decide how to distribute my time myself, thank you.  Paying my bills is
directly related to the quality of Snort now, take the next few logical
steps to understand what this means in terms of Snort's quality and
capabilities.  Combine that with my commitment to keeping Snort open source
and I think this whole notion of forking "for the good of the people" to be
a false premise.

Whether we need an apache-style board, simply a few more maintainers, or
start an open-source democracy I'm not sure. I think a tweak of the current
model is in order though.

We've got 3 primary coders (Andrew, Chris and myself), several contributers
(Dragos, Jeff Nathan, Fyodor, Chris Reid, etc) and 600+ people on
snort-devel, I think that's plenty of people to talk to.  If the code is
vetted and accepted by the people who's opinions I trust, that's the express
lane to getting code into the system.  I get a lot of patches and
contributions otherwise and only review what immediately piques my interest
or what I can get to.

     -Marty

Matt