Snort mailing list archives

Re: Generating alert when reading tcpdump file

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:54:38 -0400

tang xun wrote:
Hi All,
     I got some tcpdump data from various network to
analyze. I am able to start snort to read those
tcpdump files with the following command and gererate
logs.

snort -A full -v -d -h home_net -l /var/log/snort -r
tcpdump_file.

You are missing a "-c snort.conf" in the above line. You need to use this if you want Snort to run with any rules enabled.

    But the "-A full" didn't work. I only got an empty
alert file although I can see attacks in the tcpdump
file.

    The question is whether snort can generate alerts
when reading tcpdump files(in playback mode)?

Yes, but you have to load some rules for it to use to detect the alerts.

-A