Snort mailing list archives

Re: paranoid portscan preprocessor setup

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () broadvision com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 13:11:16 -0700

Sounds to me like you want to catch any packet to ports that arn't allowed by your security policy, since it's obvious that you can't determin whether a single connection to a 'allowed' dip/dport can't be classified as a scan or legit connection easily (although a connection that immediatly hangs up, or doesn't follow up w/ the required handshake, etc, could be classified as a scan or probe. Not sure if anything in Snort can look for this sort of thing.). The portscan processor only reports a scan when a number of connections exceed a threashold. One thing you may want to look into is Spade. It looks for 'unusual' packets to uncommon destinations and reports them. It may do more of what you're looking for.

- Jim