Snort mailing list archives

Re: paranoid portscan preprocessor setup

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:23:42 -0700

At 6:28 PM -0400 7/26/02, Jason Falciola wrote:
2.  I want to see an event even if only 1 port is scanned by an inbound TCP
or UDP packet.  This doesn't seem to be working.  Do I need to write my own
rule for this, or is it a configuration issue?

I'm not clear on what you want here. A 1-packet scan is difficult to detect. If you try to do that with the portscan preprecessor (and it succeeds) I'll be reporting essentailly all of your traffic as a scan in which case you had just as well run tcpdump. Its domain is currently only TCP SYNs, but look into Spade (another Snort preprocessor) if what you want to detect is unusual packets.

Good luck,

  Jim

--
|*      Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense      *|
|*            --- Silicon Defense: IDS Solutions ---             *|