Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie configuration issues

From: Paul Greene <pauljgreene () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:18:17 -0400

At 10:14 PM 7/23/2002 -0700, John Sage wrote:

How do you have $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET set?

Maybe it would be good to work out this $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET aspect first before getting into more esoteric stuff.

In snort.conf, I've tried changing the line:

"var HOME_NET any"

to "var HOME_NET [192.168.0.0/24,64.48.xxx.xxx]"

(note the second is a single IP address; I don't want the rest of my ISP to be considered part of my home network)

How do you set the EXTERNAL_NET to be <anything other than HOME_NET>?

/* somehow I'm having a hard time picturing this: the modem and
the "IDS bridge" are just acting as though they're wire: packets just
pass through with their IP addresses unexamined? */

Yes and no. The packets pass through like a wire, but snort (is supposed to) examines every single packet going by.

Paul