Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie-writing rules help

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:24:26 -0400

Snort does not currently support this kind of comma-delimited port list.

I can see two ways to handle your problem

1) use pass rules to pass port 23, 80, and 8000-8003 then a blanket alert that picks up anything. You'll also need to change the rule ordering with a command line parameter.

2) use a couple of port-ranged rules (probably simpler to set up, might be less efficient):
alert tcp any any -> <SERVER IP> [1-22] (msg:"Er";)
alert tcp any any -> <SERVER IP> [24-79] (msg:"Er";)
alert tcp any any -> <SERVER IP> [81-8000] (msg:"Er";)
alert tcp any any -> <SERVER IP> [8004-65535] (msg:"Er";)

Note that you do NOT want "any" for the destination IP, since the outbound traffic from your webserver would trigger the rule (it would be from port 80, to an outside machine on some random port >1024, so any time anyone accessed your website it would go off for all of the response traffic).

You might also want to consider adding a flags:S+, so that only the syn sequence sets it off.

I also take it that the server in question is not allowed to act as a client and browse web pages on the outside, download files, etc.