Snort mailing list archives

Re: inside or outside

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 19 Jul 2002 18:15:30 -0500

Seth,

it depends how you want to use Snort. If you want to use it as an
Intrusion Detection Systems, it should be placed inside the firewall to
alert you for for anything weird that slipped through your firewall
(such as... uhm... an intrusion :)

If you want to use Snort as an Attack Detection System, and/or you are
curious what kinda crap is floating around out there, you would place it
in front of the firewall.

Or run it on both. Inside for alerts, and outside for curiosity.

I myself run both. I use it outside in conjunction with SnortSam to
blind/annoy scanners, and on the inside as an IDS. I just browse through
the alerts from the outside box to see how the Internet weather is
(Nimda has been increasing lately). The alerts from the inside box I
check with a much higher priority since those would tell me if someone
is making a larger effort than just knocking on my firewall door, or if
the system has been compromised.

Regards,
Frank