Snort mailing list archives

RE: inside or outside

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:38:45 -0400

I've considered setting up a honeypot but not before I learn
alot more than
what I know now. It's a tremendous responsibility considering
if not setup
properly could backfire.

Very good idea to wait.  When set up properly, they can be valuable tools.  When done hastily, they usually just cause
trouble.

For now, though, what I plan on doing is punching a hole through the
firewall to a common port like portmapper (111) then placing
something on
it that'll allow the port to appear open like running nc -l
-p 111 -v along
with snort and seeing what I capture.

This will get you started.  However, you're only going to be able to examine stimulus.  Still, as you mentioned, you
can get started with something like this until you feel comfortable working on a live/test network.