Snort mailing list archives

Snort dropping packets?!?!?!?!?!

From: James Ashton <admin () gitflorida com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:31:52 -0400

Hey everyone,
 I have a speed issue with snort. I have posted before about it and was recomended Barnyard. Here is the setup.

K6-2 400
2- P-net nics. (super cheap)
latest snort with customised sig base.
output to barnyard
barnyard into MySQL on the same box

The issue is this. When snort isnt running it detects all packets from my network. Which is running about 2Mb/s. As
soon as snort is brought up st starts dropping
packets. It is now down to picking up only 1/25 of the packets on the network.even with no preprocessors running and no
signatures turned on. I take it there is sime
problem between snort and the OS (redhat 7.2). Either that or snort and my cheap NIC dont get along. I have run this
without mysql or barnyard running and with no
preprocessors and signatures it cant be the snort engine   right???? Normaly snort is running 8.5% cpu, with everything
turned off it is runing 0.3%cpu. That is as it
should be, but it is still dropping packets at the same rate.

any ideas???
James Ashton
13840 Osprey Links Dr, #219
Orlando Fl, 32837